Historically, Mastiha has had many wide ranging uses and was even the first chewing gum worldwide. As a culinary ingredient mastiha is often used to flavour Greek Easter bread, cookies, ice creams and even savoury dishes like roast chicken. The best way to cook with mastiha is to purchase whole Mastiha tears and grind them with a mortar and pestle for the freshest flavour. To avoid the tears sticking to the pestle chill the Mastiha prior to grinding and use a circular motion when grinding as opposed to smashing the tears.
Mastiha pairs beautifully with chocolate and this beautiful silky smooth Chocolate Mastiha Mousse is garnished with cream, crushed pistachios and rose petals for an exotic Mediterranean touch. The mastiha note is subtle and can be tasted at the end of each mouthwatering spoonful of chocolate mousse. A little mastiha goes a long way so two ground teaspoons are all you need for this recipe
Chocolate Mastiha Mousse
300G 70% COCOA DARK CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED
4 EGGS, ROOM TEMPERATURE
4 TBS CASTER SUGAR
2 TSP GROUND ART OF NATURE MEDIUM MASTIHA TEARS
1½ CUP (375ML) POURING CREAM
1. Place chocolate in a large glass bowl and melt in microwave. Stir to combine and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together for about 5 minutes until triple in volume. Add ground mastiha and whisk until combined.
3. Gently fold the egg mixture through the melted chocolate one third at a time with a large rubber spatula.
4. Gently fold through the pouring cream.
5. Pour into serving glasses and refrigerate until set.
6. Serve with dollop cream, chopped pistachios and dried rose petals.